Monday 13 September 2010

When I grow up...

Flicking through the pictures on vogue.co.uk of Fashion's Night Out (the show in NYC) I saw the usual shots of a variety of big fashion players: designers old and new, models, style savvy young actresses and, of course, Anna Wintour. It struck me how guests over a certain age completely outshone the younger generation which was so refreshing. As a girl in her twenties I feel it is important to aspire to grow old gracefully rather than dread getting old as, of course, it is inevitable. In this day and age where people are constantly trying to appear ten years younger it’s fantastic to see role models in fashion who make getting older appear glamorous and fresh rather than something to be hidden. Granted, I’m talking about people who are blessed with good looks, have probably had botox or more, and spent thousands on their clothes and general appearance, but they are not trying to dress younger and still have lines and creases to convey emotion which is a step in the right direction. Of particular note were the fashion designers Caroline Herrera, whose outfit exuded chic, and Diane von Furstenburg who looked stunning in a demure sheer black blouse and a more edgy ikat print skirt. I was most inspired however by Lauren Hutton. In a sharp navy blazer with loose cream palazzo trousers, her hands nonchalantly stuck into the pockets she looked so natural in contrast to the trussed up younger girls in their heels and tight dresses and yet hadn’t ditched the classic male tailoring she has favoured throughout her career as actress and model, as seen in the right hand picture), but merely adapted it by swapping young strappy heels to more comfortable converse. So, through my rambling, I hope to convey that we should not forget that style is universal and ageless and I hope that even when I’m 80, I'll still be thinking about what to wear - see my style icon, above right! (photograph taken by Scott Schuman)

No comments:

Post a Comment