Saturday 11 September 2010

'The Great British Bake Off' Cob Loaf Challenge




Inspired by 'The Great British Bake Off' on BBC2 (which I had disregarded as a bit silly but now admit I rather enjoy!), I decided to challenge myself to cook the basic cob loaf according to the judge Paul Hollywood's recipe. I believe that it is distinguishable from a traditional white loaf from the inclusion of a smat of butter, a double rising and rounded cob-like shape. I am not sure if mine is wholly successful as it is perhaps a little flat in looks but it tastes delicious; a crust on the outside and almost fluffy inside. Also it (just) survived the test that when you pushed down on the sponge it sprung back. Phew - what a lot I can say about a loaf of bread! But I can see how it can become an obsession - one can become quite attached to it as you watch it grow from that first prove to the final rising in the oven. And if after all that it goes flat in the oven (often due to over-proving I learnt) it can be rather infuriating! But if it turns out well it is streaks ahead of shop bought bread and very satisfying. As Hollywood himself is a man who knows his bread his instructions are Very specific and there is even a video on the bbc website so instead of putting it all here, the link is:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_crusty_83536

No comments:

Post a Comment