Tuesday 27 December 2011

A snapshot of Christmas 2011

I could tell you about the perfect quiet Christmas I had at home, stockings followed by church followed by delicious smoked salmon kedgeree brunch followed by presents followed by an exceedingly tasty and far too large turkey etc. followed by left-over trifle and Yule log from a Christmas Eve supper with friends. All snoozed off by an especially good Downton Abbey.

Phew – ok I did tell you but I’m sure yours was just as good, and I don’t want to turn this blog into one of those show-off round robin letters you get at this time of year. You know, the ones which tell you everything is fantastic and little Fergus just got back from working with children in Tunisi-AH while Clementine expected to a first at Cambridge and oh, England is so frantic at Christmas so we’re all off skiing to Verbi-AH. Mum always wants to write the ‘alternative’ round robin i.e. darling Alexander has just come out of rehab, Toby’s teachers are optimistic he will pass at least one A-Level, and I’ve turned to drink, Merry Christmas!

So, without being too smug about it, here are a few snapshots of my Christmas (when I wasn’t preoccupied with eating).



Through the hint  of snow the three wise men follow a camel

A family heirloom, this one hundred year-old snowman certainly looks his age!
Christmas is never the same without him perched on the  cake - this year  I gave him a star to fly on!

Foraged ivy and vines from the garden spruce up the mantelpiece

Maple-roasted parsnips and crunchy roast potatoes circle
the Brussels sauteed with chestnuts, bacon and sage awaiting the turkey. 

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to your excellent blog and wish you and your family a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard, it's so lovely to get positive feedback. A happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete