Tuesday 9 August 2011

Ricotta Stuffed Courgette Flowers


I've always wanted to try stuffed courgette flowers, but they are not readily available to buy, so I was perhaps overly excited when I saw half a dozen of the bright yellow flowers poking out of the vegetable patch at the holiday cottage I’m staying in.


Deciding to fill them with Ricotta, I added seasoning, chopped Chives and Mint from the garden and the juice and zest of a Lemon. Stuffing them with a teaspoon was a bit tricky as they are very delicate, but I found that even if the flower split, this didn’t matter as when you twisted the petals to seal, it all stayed together. I made a batter using 1 cup of Self Raising Flour and then whisked in Wine until a double cream consistency. White wine is probably best but I only had rose which worked fine, I’ve heard fizzy water is also good.
 

To fry I heated about an inch deep of Sunflower Oil in a deep frying pan until a drop of batter turned golden. Then I dipped each flower into the batter and carefully dropped them into the hot oil. They took about 20 seconds on each side to become golden, and when finished I laid on kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.

The finished flower was delicious, the crunchy outside giving way to oozing ricotta. Piled in a bowl with Chive flowers and a Lemon wedge to squeeze over, they made a lovely appetizer.


N.B. I found that to stuff 5 flowers I used about half a tub of Waitrose Ricotta. 


No comments:

Post a Comment