Monday 1 November 2010

Halloween Cooking


Whilst I love blogging there is nothing like a pen and paper for getting something down quickly! I say this because my computer has been going crazy and has refused to let me do anything - hence the lack of posts. Whilst I battle it out with my laptop I have transferred to an old computer so that I can post some of the recipes I have been cooking lately...




This Jamie Oliver dish is very quick and the colour is so beautiful (and suitably Halloween-esqe!) The sauce is like a pesto but slightly thicker and milder in texture and taste. Cavolo Nero is in season at the moment and seems more glamorous than ordinary cabbage due to it’s inky colour. However, kale or the dark leaves of any other cabbage could be substituted.

Cavolo Nero Tagliatelle for a grown up Halloween
    • Put a large pan of salted water on to boil. Once boiling, drop in 1 large Leek, washed and chopped and 6 Garlic Cloves, peeled. Let them cook for 3 minutes then add 2 large handfuls Cavolo Nero and cook for another 3–3½ minutes, but no more.
    • Using tongs or a slotted spoon move the veg to a liquidiser. It’s ok if a bit of water comes with it. Add 100ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil and liquidise until you’ve got a vivid green purée the same consistency as double cream. If it’s a bit too dry add a splash of the cooking water. Have a taste, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, then put aside.
    • Bring the water back to boil. Cook 500g Dried Tagliatelle (penne, linguine or spaghetti) according to packet instructions then, when it’s al dente, drain and add straight back to the pan. Add the sauce and allow it to simmer and cook into the pasta over a medium to low heat for 30 seconds. Just as it comes back to the boil remove from the heat then add 100g Parmesan Cheese, finely grated. Be quick at this point so the pasta doesn’t overcook, so have a taste to check the balance of cheese, salt and pepper.
    • Sprinkle over extra parmesan, then serve on a big platter and eat as soon as possible.



A Super Quick Supper of Steak with a Salsa Verde served with Cavolo Nero.




This was literally a 10 minute supper as I was in a rush. It doesn’t really need a recipe as I’m sure most people can cook steak and boil cabbage! I thought I’d include my version of a salsa verde – I’m sure it’s in no way authentic, I just grabbed anything green I could think of, in this case: Basil, Mint, Parsley, Capers and Green Olives - chopped them finely with some garlic and then mixed to a sauce with olive oil, salt and pepper. You can do this all when you’ve put the cabbage on to boil (or steam if you are more nimble minded than me) and seasoned steak onto a hot ridged pan to sear. 


Pumpkin Cheesecake by Nigella Lawson

Last year I made to American staple Pumpkin Pie but felt a bit underwhelmed by it, I much prefer a tart  lemon or chocolate tart. This Halloween however, I thought I’d try Nigella Lawson’s variation on the theme in her cookbook ‘Feast’. It was so easy to make once I’d located the famous Libby’s brand of pumpkin puree that seems to elude most English supermarket shelves! Obviously you could just use the flesh from the pumpkin you’ve lovingly carved but, in true Nigella style, I was feeling a bit lazy. The result is a gently spiced, quite dense cheesecake (it is comforting to note is probably due to the vegetable factor rather than an excess of waywardness that Nigella often adds - see her chocolate peanut butter cheesecake!)


    • In a food processor, blitz 250g Digestive Biscuits and ½ Tsp Cinnamon until crumb like and then add in 140g Butter, at room temperature until it resembles damp sand. Press into the base of a 23cms spring form tin. Place in fridge.
    • Preheat the oven to 160c. Put on a full kettle of water to boil. Process 425g Pumpkin Puree and 500g Cream cheese together scraping down the sides of the processor when necessary. Add 200g Sugar and process and then crack 6 Eggs down the funnel and process until combined. Lastly add the Lemon Zest from ½ a lemon.
    • Wrap two layers of cling film around the base and sides of the tin to make watertight. Then cover again with foil. Sit in a large baking dish and pour the cheesecake filling onto the base. Lastly pour boiling water around the spring form tin carefully avoiding the cake so that comes half way up the sides of the tin. Bake for 1 hr 45 minutes or until the middle only has a slight wobble.
    • Cool and then place in the fridge overnight. Serve sprinkled with cinnamon.
     





No comments:

Post a Comment